Friday, February 25, 2011

It might be time for the Mayor...

Well, maybe I'm just a desperate housewife... but I'm getting the urge to contact our local town's Mayor. He seems like a nice enough guy, he was a gym teacher, so it's great that we have a Mayor into fitness... and seems enthusiastic about his new appointment.



Well, why? Well our town is "Old", for around here. I did have the "victory" over the family skating, but it's not just that. It's how inaccessible our town is for disabled people or people just in wheels.



With my Tina Turner bulging biceps carrying Mr Oat around as if I use our stroller the wheels will fall off. My friend (the knight) did find the ski attachment but with my optimism of Winter being "over" soon. (Ok who am I kidding -31oC today) well I'm still optimistic... It's the fact that sledge hockey if it was ever at our rink wouldn't be fathomable, unless you had an army of volunteers to help everyone down the steps... or how you can't get into the registry in town as it's up a huge step. It's how there is not a single disabled spaces between 3 schools. It's the lack of the ramp at the rec centre they have the spots but if you were on your own in wheels, forget it, you'll slide down the hill, no ramp just a large curb. I think the classic is that they "Community Room" at our Rec centre is UPSTAIRS with no lift! how is that a "community Room" more like a room for people who can climb stairs! I think it says it all, you are not part of the community if you can't climb stairs!



I seriously would love to ensure that every single person who repairs wheelchairs, or plans and designs buildings, buses or anything that people go to or use, to be wheelchair bound for 1-2 weeks a year. I feel that once they've had the awareness, then they might think outside the box a bit and actually build and renovate or improve the future design, so everyone can enjoy going on the bus, or whatever. Oh and my biggest pet hate is shops where the aisle is so narrow that even my "racing" style buggy doesn't fit. I don't mind the high selves so much as moi being my height I'm always asking for help.



My eldest's school has a disabled space... however it only has stairs around the entire building and for a purpose built school, why did they think that disabled people couldn't or wouldn't go there?



Who are these so called experts with 'qualifications' so lacking in the design department of public facility buildings? It's not just the physically restricted people, one of my friends is deaf and you would have thought in this day and age that you could use text to order a pizza or email... but no. She has to ask one of us to order it for her, (obviously we don't mind) but there isn't even a deaf friendly phone in say the rec centre or the library...



It's when choice is taken away - That's my beef.



Well here is Oatie's answer to the stairs. We got 2:50 of manual ABR today





BlogBooster-The most productive way for mobile blogging. BlogBooster is a multi-service blog editor for iPhone, Android, WebOs and your desktop

2 comments:

  1. Hi Oatie
    My name is Jenna and I came across your site. U are a brave courageous fighter and an inspiration. U are full of life and spunk. U are full of smiles. U are a hero. I was born with a rare life threatening disease. My site: http://www.miraclechamp.webs.com I love when other sign my guestbook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Jenna,
    Thank you so much for visiting Oatie's Blog. Thank you for all the nice things you said. As you know from your condition, being against the odds or fighting the "norm" is an uphill marathon and it's really nice to get other peoples encouraging words to keep you focused on the climb. Please feel free to Follow Oatie on his Blog. I think you're one brave amazing person too. Your website/blog is great. Love Mel xxx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...